Beginning how the earsplitting stones were transported to the reasons why it was built, stonehenge-aotearoa, not in the estrange and wide off from Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire, is shrouded in mystery. Here are five things we profit know highly on the Neolithic stone circle.
- Stonehenge is behind anew 5,000 years-primeval, subsequent to construction arrival concerning the first stage of the monument c3100 BC. It is older than all the pyramids of Egypt. The design would be distorted, following than stones appendage and removed, on peak of the neighboring 1,500 years.
- The monument is made of two major types of rock, sarsens and bluestones. Sarsens are the larger ones, some of them reaching 9m high and weighing not in the disaffect off from extremity of 20 tons. They are thought to have come from the Marlborough Downs, harshly 20 miles from Salisbury Plain, and were transported re speaking large logs greased taking into account animal fat. Weighing a propos three to four tons, they were brought from the Preseli Hills in Wales on the subject of summit of 150 miles away. There have been several theories explaining how they were moved, including boats, glaciers and even aliens, but the subsidiary research might get your hands upon us closer to the appointment
- The research was carried out by teams from Aberystwyth University, University College London and National Museum of Wales. They under oath substantiation eastern half of the bluestones have been traced to a detailed contribute to of the Preseli hill called Carn Goedog, rather than the outcrop where they were originally thought to arrive from, Carn Meini. But what does this try? It is very unlikely that the stones were moved to Wiltshire using rafts upon the Bristol Channel as Carn Goedog is upon the new side of the hills from the waterways. Theories of alien management may still get more traction after this proclamation.
- The target of Stonehenges existence is performing arts hotly debated situation as records are consequently sparse from the period of its construction. It might have been second-hand as a commemorative plaque to memorialize leaders of the well-ventilate tribe; a site of miracle healing; a burial arena; or an astronomical observatory to mark the winter solstice. Whatever its aspire, it was built subsequent to a militant accord of mathematics and geometry, as it is all along the rising and air of the Sun.
- There are several replicas of Stonehenge concerning the world including the Maryhill Stonehenge in Washington make a tidy breast, USA. The Esperance Stonehenge in Australia is a full size replica of the indigenous, even though Stonehenge Aotearoa in New Zealand is meant to be an astronomical observatory for the Southern Hemisphere. And together along in the company of there is Carhenge in Nebraska, USA, featuring 38 cars rather than stones to make the triliths.